This is my 200th post 🙂 As a special milestone, I am blogging a handy calendar or checklist for the important festivals in every month paksha wise and some important concepts in Madhwa calendar including chaathur Maasa and Adhika Maasa
Pitru paksha begins
|Chaitra||Padmini – Vishnu||Shukla||Pratipat||Ugadi|
|Tritiya||Shri matsya jayanthi|
|Vaishaka snana begins|
|Krishna||Chathurdashi||Shri varaha jayanthi|
|Vaishaka||Kamalalaya – Madhusudhana||Shukla||Tritiya||Akshaya Trutiya|
|Shri parasurama jayanthi|
|Trayodashi||Veda Vyasa Jayanti|
|Pournima||Shri kurma Jayanthi|
|Vaishaka snana ends|
|Jyeshta||Ramaa – Trivikrama||Shukla||Dashami||Bhageerathi Jayathi|
|Pournami||Vata savithri vrata|
|Ashaada||Vrushakapi – vamana||Shukla||Ekadashi||Chathur masa beginning|
|Amavasya||Deepa sthamba pooja|
|Shravana*||Dhanya – Sridhara||Shukla||Chaturthi||Naga Chathurthi|
|Shravana Nakshathra||Rig veda upakarma|
|Pournami||Yajur veda upakarma|
|Bhadrapada||Vruddhi – Hrishiskesha||Shukla||Dhvithiya||Shri varaha and Dhanvanthri jayanthi|
|Tritiya||Swarna gowri vrata|
|Ashwija||Yagna – Padmanabha||Shukla||Prathama||Navrathri begins|
|Saptami||Saraswathy Pooja begins|
|Dashami||Madhva jayanthi/Vijaya dasami|
|Pournima||Karthika snana begins|
|Karthika||Indira – Damodhara||Shukla||Pratipat||Bali padyami|
|Pournima||Karthiga snana ends|
|Margashira||Shri – Kesahva||Shukla||Shasti||Subramanya Shashti|
|Dhanur||Sankarshana||Laxmi Narayana Pooja|
|Pousha||Laxmi Narayana||Shukla||Pournami||Magha snana begins|
|Maagha||Kamala – Madhava||Shukla||Sapthami||Ratha sapthami|
|Pournima||Magha snana ends|
|Phalguna||Padma – Govinda||Shukla||Pournami||Holi|
*On Every Tuesday of Shravana Maasa, Married ladies for the first five years after wedding should do Mangala Gowri Pooja
These four months are said to be pleasing to Lord Sri Maha Vishnu when He enters into Yoga Nidra (Divine slumber) on Aashada Sukla Ekadasi day called Deva Sayani or Hari Sayani Ekadasi.and He gets up from Yoga Nidra on Kartheeka Sukla Dwadasi day called Uttana Dwadasi.
- SHAKA VRATHA – Ashada Shudda Ekadashi to Shravana Shudda Dashami
- DADHI VRATHA -Shravana Shudda Ekadashi to Bhadrapada Shudda Dashami
- KSHEERA VRATHA – Bhadrapada Shudda Ekadashi to Ashwayuja Shudda Dashami
- DVIDALA VRATHA – Ashwayuja Shudda Ekadashi to Karthika Shudda Dashami
Dakshinayana and Uttarayana:
- Uttarayana starts on Makara Sankramana Day, usually January 14 or 15th and Dakshinayana starts usually on July 15th or 16th.
- Starting from Makara (Capricorn) up to Mithuna (Gemini), the travel of Sun is called as Uttarayana and starting from Karkataka (Cancer) up to Dhanus (Sagittarius) it is known as Dakshinayana.
- It is believed and said that Uttarayana represents Devathas and Dakshinayana represents Pithrus.
- It is also said that Uttarayana is the day time and Dakshinayana is the night time for devathas.That is one human year is equal to one day for devathas
Adhika Masa is the thirteenth month in a Calender year followed by Lunar Calender,i.e., Chandramana reethya.
The concept of adding one extra month after every 33 months is known as Adhika Masa.
Maasa Niyamaka: Purushotthama