When to perform?
This is the Vrata observed by Sumangalis for 4 months from the first day of Chaatur Maasya Vrata.
Who Taught this vrata?
This was prescribed by Lord Krishna to His sister Subhadra devi.
Where to draw?
Select a place in pooja room or near tulasi and Draw the Go padma with complete dedication and concentration
How to perform?
- After drawing the Rangoli, Pooja to the figures of Cow, Calf and other Devatas with Arisina, Kunkuma etc., Do Pushpa Archana and Do Sakkare (Sugar) neivedhya
- Do 33 Pradakshinas and Namaskaras
- next perform six Pradakshina and six Namaskara to Mohini. The six Padma Rangoli on the body of the cow represent six Mohini Devatas.
- Do aarathi
- Do Arghya separately for first 33 devatas separately:
Arghya mantra Asta dravya samaayuktam swrna paatra sthitam jalam |
arghyam grahaana devesha bhaktaanaam abhayapradam ||
Go Antar-gata, Sakala Devata Antargata Bharati Ramana Mukhya Prana Antargata Sri Gopala Krishnaa-ya Nama-h. (Idam Arghyam)
Then separately perform arghya for 6 mohin devatas in a separate pela.
Bharati Ramana Mukhya Prana Antargata Rukminee Satya Bhama Sameta Sri Krishnaaya Nama-h. (Idam Arghyam)
- Read Go-Padma Vrata Katha after offering Arghya.
- Offer Akshata + water in pela, as a mark of Sarva Samarpana. And pray to the Lord to forgive Aparadhas in the performance
What if you are not able to o pooja on one or two days?
- If you had missed this pooja previously for a day or two due to any reason(illness or periods), you can complete it next day or on any day convenient. The missed days should not exceed seven days.
- If unable to do this Puja daily, you can do it 2-times next day; 3 times on 3rd day complete the balance in that way. The gap should not exceed 7 days. You can not do tomorrow’s puja today
- When you do pooja in accumulated fashion, one time arathi and neivadhyam is enough
Why missed days should not exceed 7?
We all know through Bhagavatha Shri Krishna lifted up Govardhana Parvata and held it on his little finger and stood for seven days. Based on this, there is a Niyama that Go-Padma-Pooja should be continued for 7 days and the missed days should not exceed 7 days. If you miss it for any reason, resume puja within 7 days and continue for 7 days.
When it gets completed?
- Go-Padma Vrata gets concluded on Uth-thaana Dwadasi day.
First year pooja:
- Payasa Dana is offered that day as a mark of conclusion.
- Payasa in Kanchina-Lota, with Taamboola, 33 coins Dakshina, Tulasi Dala,Gopi Chanda and Janivara. Offer it to the Lord first and then to the Brahmana.
- In this way, first year Pooja is completed.
Second year pooja:
On Uththaana Dwadasi day 2nd year Dana is 33 Adhirasa (cooked in ghee). Offer, this along with the brass plate, with 33 coins Dakshina+Tulasi Dala. Offer it to the Lord first and then to the Brahmana
Third year pooja:
Elai Appam 33
Fourth year pooja:
Four kinds of Laddu all put together 33.
Fifth year pooja:
33 Holige (obbittu), along with the brass plate (every year), In a plaintain with 33 coins. Go-Padma-Vrata is for five years only and it is complete on 5th year
Dana to own Brothers:
One’s own brothers are the first eligible persons to receive the above said Dana. In their absence, give it to other eligible person.
Why Dana to Own Brothers?
- This is a Vrata observed by women.
- Krishna-Preeti is the ultimate aim in this Vrata.
- Subhadra Devi undertakes this Vrata. The Lord who is our ultimate aim, is the Anna, (the elder brother) of Subhadra.
- He is the Anna to each and every woman. Keep this in mind when you give this Dana to your own brother.
Why Sweet Bhakshana Dana?
The dana items are (1) Payasa, (2) Adhirasa, (3) Elai Appam, (4) Laddu and (5) Holige. All these are sweet items liked by young boys.
According to a story in Bhagavata, these are the items which Yagnya Patnis offered to Krishna and his playmates when Yagnya was still going on. (Skandha 10)
Why this number 33 is significant?
The cow (or Go) is our Prat-yaksha Devata. 33 Koti Devatas are present in the cow. We cannot give so much of Danas. As a token, as a symbol, we offer 33 items of Danas with 33 coins.
Ekadashi & Dwadashi:
Only on Ekadashi day, You can draw another set of Go padma for dwadashi count. But Remember Arghya and Neivedhya should be done only on Dwadashi day. However Pradakshina and Namaskara can be finished on Ekadashi itself
Go padma vrata story: