What is Yugadhi?
Adi means beginning. Yuga+Adi (Yugadi) means starting of the yuga.
Kali Yuga started on Chaitra Shuddha Pratama.
It is the very first festival in chaithra maasa(Chaithra suddha pratama). It is the New year for us. It is a day to celebrate / welcome new year with family and friends with Hari dhyana
How to celebrate(in common)?
- Put Kemmannu – Rangoli in front of the house
- Do alankara for door with mango leaves thorana
- Abhyanga (oil bath) sloka to chant while doing enne sashthra for oil bath
- Saligrama Puja
- Thulasi Puja
- Panchanga Puja and Panchanga Sravana
- Naivedya of the mixture of neem tender leaves (or flower) with (Bella) jaggery and taking this mixture
- Naivedya of Maasa Dharma items:- Paanaka, Buttermilk, Kosambari etc
- wearing new clothes(Optional,if possible )
- Namaskara to parents, elders
- Give Tamboola Dakshina to Veda – Brahmanas
- Have Food(Habbada adige) with family and relatives
- Darshan of the Lord in temple in the evening.
NEEM TENDER LEAVES (or FLOWER) with JAGGERY (Bella)
In a small vessel, take a handful of with neem flower, tender neem leaves and a little bit of jaggery, Mix them well with a silver uddarani or spoon or hand and keep it ready for naivedya.
Sloka to chant while consuming Bevu bella :
ಶತಾಯುರ್ವಜ್ರದೇಹಾಯ ಸರ್ವಸಂಪತ್ಕರಾಯ ಚ |
ಸರ್ವಾರಿಷ್ಟವಿನಾಶಾಯ ನಿಂಬಕದಳಭಕ್ಷಣಮ್ |
shataayurvajradEhaaya sarvasampatkaraaya cha |
sarvaariShTavinaashaaya nimbakadaLabhakShaNam |
With the bevu-bella, Our body will be healthy and strong as a Diamond and it is sarvaarista naashaka. It raises our health.
Another significance of bevu bella is related like Our life is made up of Sorrows and happiness. It shows the different facets of life: Sweet and bitter experiences in life.
It is auspicious to know about the life span of Chaturmukha Brahma Deva and also know the Thithi, Vaara, Nakshatra, Yoga and Karana everyday
LIFE SPAN OF CHATURMUKHA BRAHMA DEVA
This is a little complex math. But once you understand manvantara, kalpa etc it is easy to understand what is one day in Chathurmukha brahma cycle?
Swasti Sri, Chaturmukha Brahma Deva was born from the Naabhi Kamala of Maha Vishnu and has 100 years of life span.
He has completed the first 50 years. Now the first day of the 51st year is running
Krita Yuga + Treta Yuga + Dwapara Yuga + Kali Yuga = one Maha Yuga
71 Maha Yugas = one Manvantara
14 Manvantaras = one Kalpa(This is the day time for Brahma Deva)
Similarly one night is equal to another 14 Manvantaras (one Kalpa).
So, 28 Manvantaras (two Kalpas) constitue a single day
Like this 360 days = one year for Brahma Deva
And like that, Life span of Chathurmukha brahma is years
In the first day morning, in Swetha Varaha Kalpla, 6 Manvantaras are completed. In the 7th (Vai-vas-vatha) Manvantara, 27 Maha Yugas are completed. In the 28th Maha Yuga, Krita, Treta, Dwapara Yugas have goen. In 4 lakhs 32 thousand years of Kali Yuga, 5,000 years are also completed. We are now at the beginning of the first quarter of Kali Yuga (Kali Yuge Prathama Pade – in sanskrit).
- On Yugadi day, Panchanga Sravana either in the morning or evening.
- If Panchanga is not available, do pooja to this book and then read out the contents of the first few pages to everyone in the house.
- Keep the Panchanga in a Peeta. Arisina, Kumkuma to Panchanga.
- Do Dhyaana of Navagraha Devata, antargata Mukhya Praana, antargata Sri Lakshmi Narasimha, Dhyaana of your Kula Deva Swami, Aavaahana, Mantrakshata, Pushpa Samarpana, Mangalarathi to Panchanga.
Why Panchanga sravana
At the beginning of the year, if we get advance information on the likely events in that whole year, it would be helpful to prepare ourselves to adhere to those austerities. In this way, Panchanga Sravana helps us to get peace and prosperity in life.
Panchanga Sravana is Mangala-kara for everyone. It removes the ill-effects of bad dreams, brings Punya of Ganga Snana, yields the Punya of Go-daana, increase the life span, beget of good, Satwik Children and wealtH
In case, if you are not able to make it up for panchanga sravana in the temple, atleast try to read first few pages of panchanga @ home itself