For any festival Gowri habba, varalakshmi habba or any dhana , maradha baghina is a tradition followed in Madhwa families. Giving maradha bagina completes most of the vratas/festivals. Arrange all the things needed for bhagina in a day advance and keep it separately.
- 2 Moras
- turmeric and kumkum for decorating moras
- Items to keep inside moras
- Rice about
- tur dal
- chana dal, mung dal , urad dal
- Dry chilly
- dhania/coriander seeds
- a table spoon each of jeera, pepper, methi, and mustard
- oil and ghee
- milk and dahi
- any two vegetables
- Haldhi kumkum,
- bichole karugamani
- Gejje vastra
- Small Mirror, Comb
- blouse or a saree
- blouse piece.
- When this is given to a suhasini(mutthaidharu) it should contain all the ingredients enough for two people atleast to cook and eat for one day.
- If living abroad and cannot get the moras , buy a big plastic box with lid and use it
Place a mat facing East in front of god for muthaide to sit.
Do avahana of Goddess Gowri/Laxmi by putting manthrakshate on muttaide.
Put Turmeric on muttaide’s feet and then wash it with warm water. Give Kumkum and Gandha, to muttaide
Apply oil on muttaide’s head and comb it. Give her flowers, kajal to wear & then show her mirror
Light deepa in front of muttaide and give Pan leaves, Dakshine, Coconut, Fruits and Clothes/Blouse Piece
Hold your saree seragu/Pallu and muttaide’s will hold her seragu/Pallu so that the top of the mora is covered, then swing the mora 3 times (by saying below lines) to do daana.
Once done, uncover the mora and show to muttaide the items kept inside the mora.
while giving bhagina, the giver says “MUTHAIDHI MUTHAIDHI MORADHA BHAGINA THOGO”.
The receiver must say “SAVITRI SAVTHRI MARADHA BHAGANA KODU”
Repeat this three times.
Mantra to say while giving baagina:
ರಾಮಪತ್ನಿ ಮಹಾಭಾಗೇ ಪುಣ್ಯ ಮೂರ್ತಿ ನಿರಾಮಯೇ |
ಮಯಾದತ್ತಾನಿ ಶೂರ್ಪಾಣಿ ತ್ವಯಾ ಸ್ವೀಕೃತಾ ಜಾನಕಿ ||
Raama patni mahaabhaagE puNya moorty niraamaye |
Mayaa dattaani shoorpaaNi twayaa sweekrutaa Jaanaki ||
Mantra to say while taking Bhagina:
ರಾಮ ಪತ್ನಿ ಮಹಾಭಾಗೇ ಪುಣ್ಯಮೂರ್ತಿ ನಿರಾಮಯೇ |
ತ್ವಯಾ ದತ್ತಾನಿ ಶೂರ್ಪಾಣಿ ಮಯಾ ಸ್ವೀಕೃತಾ ಜಾನಕಿ ||
Raama Pathni Mahabhaage puNya moorty niraamaye|
Twayaa dattaani shoorpaaNi mayaa sweekrutaa Jaanaki ||
- After this do namaskara and seek the muthaidhi’s blessing.
- Items needed: Rice , 2 haldi sticks, supari, and coconut.
- The suhasini should accept this in her saree pallu.
- The giver should put rice coconut and supari five times
- the suhasini will put a little rice back three times.
8 thoughts on “MARADHA BHAGINA & UDI THUMBODHU”
A very useful information.
Sir now a days mora is replaced by steel plates and basen and also they use more and plate as combination is it good sir and is it ok to do so will it affect our tradition since now a days in urban areas mora is not in use much
Though steel plates/plastic boxes are not the replacements of mora, it is atleast better to give something instead of nothing. We should pray lord sri hari for giving us the chance to give mora atleast in the next year celebration and accept whatever the least we can do
I lived in United states for sometime. As u said We cant even think of moras. We used to give maradha bhagina in boxes/containers.
Sir can we give one mora and steel plate coving it so it will be combination of both
Can we do that
I am not sure! Please refer to your local aachar or elder!